Saturday, July 11, 2009

My First Quilt

A parade of quilts is going on at Camille's and at Carrie's blogs. What a fun idea! I just started writing about the quilt I made for my daughter but then I thought back and realized I finished this quilt first, about a year and a half ago...and even though it is small it is my first quilt.



This project confirmed my love for great fabric (this is Amy Butler), put me on a search for a walking foot and showed me I needed to learn a better way to bind a quilt. (This one I machine sewed both sides of the binding). I do love the quilting pattern, I hope to use the same pattern again, maybe on my next one!)

I have been on vacation (and preparing for it) for almost two weeks so I have not been sewing. The project below is one thing I am trying to finish up. I'll let you know more info in future posts!


Sometime this week I hope to take a look at every one's fun first projects...thanks Camille and Carrie!

11 comments:

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

small but adorable!!!

Carrie said...

Didn't someone very wise once say that the best things come in small packages? I think the same can be said for small quilts! They're both wonderful ~ and I'm with you, I love Amy Butler's fabrics.

Have fun with the walking foot ~ I bet it won't be long before you're looking for a foot so you can free-motion quilt. :)

Thank you for sharing your quilts!

Lisa D. said...

Both of your quilts are beautiful - you're a natural!

Chase said...

I love your newest quilt. I am still working on how to make a good star block. thanks for sharing.

Lollydo said...

You can go wrong with Amy Butler's fabric *sigh* lovely first quilt and the recent one will be incredible when you finish. I really like the off set of the star in the block, nice touch!

Leslie said...

i really love the quilting on your first quilt....i am inspired to give it a try.

dotti white said...

I love both of them! You did a wonderful job--the color choice of the second one is awesome!

Lucy said...

That is a very interesting star layout on your current project -- it's like modern meets tradition. I like it! With those colors and fun fabrics it will be quite striking when done.

MamaT said...

Sounds like you haven't been quilting long. But you're doing a great job. I love them both.

Becky J. said...

amy butler fabric for your first...can't go wrong with that! love them both. cute stuff.

Katie B said...

Your quilts are beautiful. I love the fabric in the first one.